Sunday 21 September 2014

Sarah Jane Morris at the Union Chapel for the launch of Bloody Rain

Sarah Jane Morris at the Union Chapel

I was lucky enough to be invited by Sarah Jane Morris to the launch of her new album, Bloody Rain.
I had not been to the union chapel before, but found it to be one of the most beautiful venues around.  We had options of hot food, drinks from the bar, or teas and hot chocolates, while we sat in the pews awaiting the performance to come.  It was a very civilised affair.

We started of the night with Joe Cang.  His songs were light, funny and in a calypso style.  I particularly loved the one about regretting a tattoo, which he has yet to record.
Sarah Jane is probably best known as the singer on ‘Don’t leave me this way’ with The Communards, but she is so much more than that – and has ventured away from pop music to find her true calling.

Her voice is stunning.  She has a great range and you can really feel the soul coming out of every pore.  She sings with such passion and that passion is contagious.  I could feel the words and music deep within me, moving me.
Bloody Rain is a triumph of talented artists who have come together to make meaningful songs.  Words that really mean something.  Each song tells a story.  For Example ‘David Kato’ was considered Uganda’s first openly gay man and was murdered for it.  Sarah Jane sings:

Who are the queer folk here?

Who is really living in fear?

Who is twisted at the end of the day?

Who sees life in a perverted way?

 
In contradiction to that, ‘Men just want to have fun’ has fun lyrics and an uplifting tune.

Men just want to have fun.

Men love to play with a loaded gun.

Shoot off all the barrels and done.

You hold up a condom, just watch them run.

 Before each song, Sarah Jane explained the meaning behind the lyrics.  It really did bring weight of the words together.  And Sarah Jane is a wonderful warm and funny person whose personality shines through.  She has an amazing smile and when she smiles the whole room lights up.  I also have to mention her fantastic style.  I love the dresses she wears.  She always looks fantastic.

Sarah Jane’s son was one of the backing singers, but when he did a line or two on his own, he really shined.  He has a fantastic range and if talent was currency, he is very rich indeed.
The whole night was an amazing collaboration of talent, tunes and people getting together.  It was a very special night.

She finished the evening by getting everyone out of their seats, with her own version of ‘Piece of my heart’ and of course, ‘Don’t leave me this way’.  Don’t leave me this way is a very special song to me. I would never be able to just sit down and listen to it. I HAVE to dance to it. And I danced like it was 1986!
For the encore, we all sung ‘I don’t wanna know about evil, I only wanna know about love’ which she did for Martyn Ware’s BEF’s album (volume three).  I just love love love her version of this!

This album is special.  Just reading the lyrics without even hearing the songs, you can see that. But the tunes bring another dimension to the songs. These are great songs.
I would never tell you what to do, but on this occasion you should go out and buy this album. I know you will love it!

Set list

Feel the love

For a friend

David Kato

Bloody Rain

On my way to you

Wild Flowers

Across the desert

Deeper well

Get them out

Coal train

Men just want to have fun

I shall be released

Piece of my heart

Don’t leave me this way

I don’t wanna know about evil
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment